How much does a BMW weigh?
As a rule of thumb, the average BMW curb weights by category are as follows:
- BMW Sedans: 3,400 – 5,200 pounds
- BMW Coupes: 3,500 – 4,300 pounds
- BMW SUVs: 3,500 – 5,900 pounds
- BMW Convertibles: 3,500 – 4,500 pounds
- BMW Hatchbacks: 2,800 – 4,300 pounds
- Electric BMWs: 3,000 – 5,700 pounds
If you want to find out more about the average weights of BMWs, this post is for you.
We at PowerSportsGuide have compiled some of the most popular models into one chart!
How Much Does a BMW Weigh?
How Much Does a BMW Sedan Weigh?
The average weight of BMW sedans is about 3,400 – 5,200 pounds. The lightest BMW sedans are the 2 series, while the heaviest models can be found in the BMW 7 family.
- 2022 BMW 330i weight: 3,560 pounds
- 2022 BMW M3 weight: 3,840 pounds
- 2022 BMW M5 weight: 4,345 pounds
- 2022 BMW 550i Xdrive weight: 4,383 pounds
- 2022 BMW 540i weight: 3,957 pounds
- 2022 BMW 228i Gran Coupe 3,393 pounds
- 2022 BMW 740i weight: 4,244 pounds
- 2022 BMW M760i xDrive weight: 5,159 pounds
How Much Does a BMW Coupe Weigh?
BMW coupes and sedans are very close in weight and dimensions, so you can expect the weight of BMW coupes to be in the range of 3,500 – 4,300 pounds.
- 2022 BMW M2 Coupe (230i) weight: 3,519 pounds
- 2022 BMW M4 Coupe weight: 3,830 pounds
- 2022 BMW M8 Coupe weight: 4,295 pounds
- 2013 BMW 335i Coupe weight: 3,852 pounds
- 2013 BMW 328i Coupe xDrive weight: 3,627 pounds
How Much Does a BMW Convertible Weigh?
Surprisingly, convertible BMWs are always heavier than their hardtop counterparts. This is because the structure of convertible models is strengthened, which translates into a lot of extra weight. Therefore, the weight of convertible BMWs ranges from 3,500 up to 4,600 pounds.
- 2016 BMW M6 Convertible weight: 4,515 pounds
- 2022 BMW M4 Convertible weight: 4,306 pounds
- 2020 BMW M8 Convertible weight: 4,560 pounds
- 2020 BMW Z4 M540i Convertible weight: 3,457 pounds
- 2022 BMW M440i Convertible weight: 4,171 pounds
What Does a BMW SUV Weigh?
As expected, the weight of BMW SUVs is significantly higher than their car counterparts. The weight of BMW SUVs starts at around 3,500 and goes up to a whopping 5,900 pounds.
- 2022 BMW X1 sDrive28i weight: 3,567 pounds
- 2022 BMW X2 M35i weight: 3,743 pounds
- 2022 BMW X3 M40i weight: 4,392 pounds
- 2022 BMW X4 M40i weight: 4,403 pounds
- 2022 BMW X5 M weight: 5,455 pounds
- 2022 BMW X6 M weight: 5,375 pounds
- 2022 BMW X7 xDrive40i weight: 5,397 pounds
- 2022 BMW XB7 Alpina weight: 5,867 pounds
How Much Does a BMW Hatchback Weigh?
The lightest BMWs are arguably the tiny hatchbacks. You can expect the weight of these models to be in the range of 2,800-4,300 pounds.
- 2020 BMW 1 F40 weight: 3,064 pounds
- 2019 BMW M140i weight: 4,221 pounds
- 2018 BMW 125i weight: 3,086 pounds
- 2021 BMW 118i weight: 2,844 pounds
- 2020 BMW M135i weight: 3,307 pounds
How Heavy is an Electric BMW?
From the tiny BMW i3 to the large iX, the curb weight of electric BMWs vary widely. As a rule of thumb, electric BMWs weigh about 3,000-5,700 pounds.
- 2022 BMW i3 weight: 2,972 pounds
- 2022 BMW i4 eDrive40 weight: 4,865 pounds
- 2022 BMW i4 M50 weight: 5,049 pounds
- 2022 BMW iX xDrive50 weight: 5,659 pounds
What Does a Classic BMW Weigh?
Classic BMWs were not only smaller but also lighter than their modern counterparts. For example, classic BMWs in the ‘90s weighed only about 2,500-4,200 pounds.
- 2000 BMW e46 330i weight: 3,086 pounds
- 1998 BMW e36 328i weight: 2,910 pounds
- 1991 BMW e30 318i weight: 2,480 pounds
- 1994 BMW e32 740i weight: 3,946 pounds
- 1992 BMW e34 M5 weihgt: 3,638 pounds
- 1999 BMW e31 850 Ci 5.4 weight: 4,144 pounds
- 2000 BMW Z3 (E36/7) weight: 2,877 pounds
BMW Size Chart
For your convenience, we’ve compiled the weight of the most popular BMW models into one chart:
|Year||Model||Curb Weight (lbs)|
|2022||BMW iX xDrive50||5,659|
|2022||BMW X5 M||5,455|
|2022||BMW X7 xDrive40i||5,397|
|2022||BMW X6 M||5,375|
|2022||BMW M760i xDrive||5,159|
|2022||BMW i4 M50||5,049|
|2022||BMW i4 eDrive40||4,865|
|2020||BMW M8 Convertible||4,560|
|2016||BMW M6 Convertible||4,515|
|2022||BMW X4 M40i||4,403|
|2022||BMW X3 M40i||4,392|
|2022||BMW 550i Xdrive||4,383|
|2022||BMW M4 Convertible||4,306|
|2022||BMW M8 Coupe||4,295|
|2022||BMW M440i Convertible||4,171|
|1999||BMW e31 850 Ci 5.4||4,144|
|1994||BMW e32 740i||3,946|
|2013||BMW 335i Coupe||3,852|
|2022||BMW M4 Coupe||3,830|
|2022||BMW X2 M35i||3,743|
|1992||BMW e34 M5||3,638|
|2013||BMW 328i Coupe xDrive||3,627|
|2022||BMW X1 sDrive28i||3,567|
|2022||BMW M2 Coupe||3,519|
|2020||BMW Z4 M540i Convertible||3,457|
|2022||BMW 228i Gran Coupe||3,393|
|2000||BMW e46 330i||3,086|
|2020||BMW 1 F40||3,064|
|1998||BMW e36 328i||2,910|
|2000||BMW Z3 (E36/7)||2,877|
|1991||BMW e30 318i||2,480|
This chart is for informational purposes only! For exact specifications, please refer to the factory manual.
FAQs About BMW Weights
As a takeaway, we’ve compiled the most common questions (and answers) about average BMW weights under one roof.
How Heavy is a BMW?
Simply put, a BMW can be as heavy as 2,800-5,900 pounds depending on the model and its features.
What is the Lightest BMW SUV?
The lightest BMW SUV is the X1 sDrive28i; this model weighs only 3,567 pounds.
What is the Lightest BMW Car?
The lightest BMW car in production is the electric BMW i3 with a curb weight of 2,972 pounds. It’s a fun fact that the lightest BMW ever built was the 1955 BMW Isetta. This tiny bubble car weighed less than 1,000 pounds!
Which BMW is the Heaviest?
The heaviest BMW is the XB7 Alpina, as it weighs 5,867 pounds.
How Much Does a BMW 3 Series Weigh?
The models in the BMW 3 Series weigh about 3,500-3,800 pounds.
Other Quick FAQs
How much does a BMW M3 F80 weigh? 3,653 pounds
How much does a 2022 BMW M3 weigh? 3,840 pounds
How much does the 2022 BMW X5 SUV weigh? 4,828-5,375 pounds
How much does a 2022 BMW X5 weigh in kg? 2,190-2,438 kg
What does a 2022 BMW M4 weigh? 3,830 pounds
Takeaway – About BMW
Bayerische Motoren Werke AG, commonly known as BMW is a German luxury motorcycle and car manufacturer. The European company was founded in 1916 and headquartered in Munich, Germany. BMW was established as an aircraft engine manufacturer and entered the automotive market in 1928.
Along with Mercedes-Benz and Audi, BMW is also considered part of the “Big German 3”. These companies are the best-selling luxury brands in the automotive market each year.
BMW offers cars under Mini, Rolls-Royce, BMW brand names, and motorcycles under the brand of BMW Motorrad.
The manufacturer is also a well-known name in motorsport, as it has competed in races from Formula 1 to the Isle of Man TT.
Disclaimer: Any specifications in this article are intended to be for general informational purposes only. For exact specifications, please visit the manufacturer’s website.